Here is the recipe for my favorite cake. Which, as it turns out, is also the cake I request for my birthday every year. Many thanks for my wife who made it for me earlier this month.
It's a doosey of a recipe. It will take over your kitchen and every bowl you own. But the soft, pillow-like texture (minus the feathers), combined with the mild chocolate and coffee flavors, will make this one of your favorite recipes too.
FYI, it's an old family recipe from my father's side. Thanks to my Mom for putting the recipe together for my wife!
1 cup flower
1.5 cups powered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa or hot chocolate mix (preferably Ghirardelli)
1 tablespoon instant (freeze dried) coffee (ground fine via blender or coffee grinder)
1.5 cups of egg whites (about 10 eggs)
1/2 tsp. salt
1.5 tsps. cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
Whipped Cream Topping Ingredients:
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
a dash of vanilla
your favorite chocolate (for shaving)
1) Pre-heat oven to 375
2) Sift together flour, powered sugar, cocoa, and coffee, then stir until well mixed
3) Beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until frothy
4) Add cream of tartar to egg whites, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
5) Sprinkle flour mixture, a little at a time, on the egg whites and fold gently into egg whites.
6) Pour mixture into un-greased angel food cake pan.
7) Bake for 35-40 minutes at 375
8) Remove from oven. Once cool, add topping.
1) Whip the cream until it begins to stiffen slightly.
2) Add vanilla, sugar, and cocoa to taste (just a little)
3) Whip until desired consistency is reached
4) Spread over cake
5) Shave slivers of chocolate onto top of cake.