Ok fellas, Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and lets face it, you haven't made restaurant reservations yet. Heck, aside from knowing that you'll need to get flowers, you don't know what you're going to do.
Are you going to suck it up, and go see a chick flick? Or are you going to take her to a concert?Only you know the answer to those questions (or you will soon, if you don't want to get into trouble)
However, if you want to save some cash, and make a meal at home, keep reading. Here's a quick and easy recipe that minimizes money, but maximizes flavor.
Filet Mignon with Avocado and Olive Oil
Risotto and Asparagus with Red and Yellow Peppers
Chocolate Bundles (Recipe by Paula Deen)
1) Rinse asparagus, and break-off the ends by hand. Also, slice thin strips of red and yellow bell peppers. Then set aside, and wait for #6.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet (cast iron if possible)
3) Once oil is hot, sear all sides of two filets for about 2 minutes
4) Place filets in oven at 350, for 30 minutes (well done), and less time for more rare meat
5) Once the filets are in the oven, begin making a box of risotto, follow the directions. (usually takes about 20-30 mins)
6)With risotto cooking, Slice one avocado in half lengthwise. Remove pit, then slice avocado while still in skin with dull knife.
7) grab asparagus from step 1, and place in medium-high heated skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
8) After asparagus cooks for about 1-2 minutes add peppers, and then season to taste. I suggest a small amount of soy sauce and honey.
9) Remove fillets from oven, and place on heated plate, top filets with sliced 1/2 avocado, and drizzle with olive oil.
10) Place health portion of risotto and vegetables on plate, and serve. I suggest a bottle of Merlot with this meal.
11) Consult the directions on the Chocolate Bundles dessert for the appropriate cooking times. The Chocolate Bundles will take about an hour (including thawing time for the dough), so plan accordingly.
Coming Tomorrow: Review of Mama Mia Too (Huntersville)